Thursday, October 9, 2014

Off Season

Just when everyone else in the running world is gearing up for their big fall marathons:

I'm just sitting here twiddling my thumbs.

I'm trying to learn how to stay motivated without a training schedule. Here is what I have learned so far/trying to work on:

1. Learn to love cross training. I mentioned this in the last post when I talked about lifting. I have never been "into" any other form of exercise besides running and to some extent, yoga. However, since my half marathon I have been slightly more dedicated to following my strength training routine. I have also started going to a hip hop cycle class which has been really fun! It is basically a spin class, but it includes lots of upper body stuff as well.
2. Remember that I do actually like running. Towards the end of a training cycle I get really burnt out and start dreading my runs. Now I'm having to remind myself that when I do go run, it is not necessarily to "get better". It's to have fun, get a good sweat, and maintain fitness.
3. I'm no longer running a crazy amount of miles a week, so I can't eat everything in sight. I'm trying to take this chance when I'm not constantly hungry to improve my nutrition. This is one that is in progress :)


It's hard not having a schedule, but I'm trying to do what I can and still improve.

PS-Good luck to everyone running in Chicago this weekend. Wish I could come and cheer!


Anyone else have any other tips for off-season sanity?

1 comment:

  1. Reading everyone's marathon recaps is making me itch to train for one! I think I am going to aim for a half in early spring and spend the winter conditioning myself for that. It seems like if I have a goal, even if it's far away, it gives me something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete