Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Week 15=PEAK WEEK

Here's my mileage recap:

Monday: 2 miles
Tuesday: 2 miles
Wednesday: 4 miles
Thursday: Rest
Friday: 20 miles
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Rest

For non-runners, peak week is the week in training where you are running the most miles that you are going to during training. It typically includes the longest training run.
This was my peak week. That means that starting next week, I start the "taper". Most runners dread this, but I am more than ready for it. My body and I are tired and we are ready for a little bit less mileage. The goal in the taper is to rest your body enough that come April 25, I will be able to run 26.2 miles. It doesn't mean no running, just less.
Back to peak week, it was still hard. I had to shift my running days to M,T,W instead of T,W,Thur. Somehow that threw me all off. But I was proud of myself for getting all my runs in even if they weren't quite the distance I wanted.

To top it all off, I RAN 20 MILES! I ran the first 20 miles of the race course and it was fantastic. Not going to say it wasn't hard, but it was exactly what I needed. I know I'll regret saying this, but if I can run 20 miles, I can run 26.2.

Here's where the start line will be:


Here's my finish line:


Here's city I ran!


Here's the girl who ran it:


Thoughts going into taper:

  • I have done my best. It still has to be proven if my best will be good enough, but I have given the best I can and I have to be happy with that.
  • I'm going to attempt to focus on perfecting my nutrition during this time. I'm hoping that will help me come race day.
  • I'm going to try to add one yoga day to my week because that will help me relieve the stress of the upcoming race, but also keep me injury-free
I've worked on my mental game a lot this week, and I think I'm getting better at it.
I'm very excited to cut back on miles this next week. I am even more excited to run a marathon in 18 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment