Monday, March 30, 2015

Week 14 and Marathon Fears

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Time Trial (3.5 miles total)
Wednesday: None
Thursday: 3 miles
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 14 miles
Sunday: 90 min sweet surrender yoga

This week has been very hard for me. I'm starting to realize that I'm not where I wanted to be at this point in my training.  It is far too easy for me right now to get down on myself when after 10 miles, I feel like I'm dying. I have a 20 mile run next week and the farthest I've gone at one time is 16. I feel like my training has gotten very half-hearted. To be honest, at the end of my long (14) run this week, I was ready to switch to the half marathon and just say that I was not made to run 26.2 miles at one time.

However, talking with my trainer and reading some blogs of people who are training for Boston (a week before mine) I realize we are all in the same place. These are totally normal feelings, especially because I've never run a full marathon before. I need so somehow figure out how to put my positive hat on and push through. After this race, I give myself permission to never run a full marathon again, but right now, I need to be focused on 26.2.

As I was pondering these things (way more than I probably should) one word came to mind: steady. I need to figure out how to steady my mind, my muscles, and my nerves and just settle in. I've done the vast majority of my training and now I need to hold steady. And while you are reading my random ponderings, I'll keep going on this stream of consciousness. When I think of "steady" the first image that pops into my head is my Grandpa Stadick. He died when I was 9, but most of what I remember about hims was his steadiness. So I'm going to think of him during this next week while I'm running more than the normal person should. This week is for Grandpa Stadick and his steadiness.



No comments:

Post a Comment